Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sounds Healthy, but Words Deceive

By Jeff Kenney
A few weeks ago, I double-clicked my Internet Explorer icon. On my Yahoo home page was a picture of what looked to be a healthy veggie sandwich. I was fooled! The heading read: “Worst Foods in America!” That “Blimpie Veggie Supreme” could turn the average American into the Good Year Blimp in no time! With 1,100 calories, 56 grams of fat, 2,800 milligrams of sodium, and 96 grams of carbohydrates – THERE SHOULD BE A WARNING LABEL ON THAT BABY!!! Things are not always what they appear to be! "Veggie Supreme" sounds healthy; but words can be deceiving!

The Bible warns us about people in these end times who will sound like they are sharing “truth”, when, in actuality, their words are deceitful. The Apostle Paul says to young Timothy in 2 Tim 4:3-5:
…For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5But you, keep your head in all situations…
Perhaps you too have had someone mess up your thinking. At one time or another, we all have! We’ve been mislead. We’ve been led down the trail of confusion – perhaps even rebellion.

Paul said, “…keep your head in all situations…” For me, that means many things. I like to take advice and counsel from wise, trusted, and proven leaders. I read through the Bible each year. In addition, I try to read a book every other week. I have a mentor. I lead two Bible study groups. There’s more; but, how do you “keep your head in all situations”?

1 comment:

  1. For me, Jeff it's a deliberate effort to stay balanced. I know, that word is used a lot but it holds true. When the word of God is our rule of life and the Holy Spirit truly becomes our teacher, the likelihood of "losing our head" lessens. When we lose our balance we will definitely lose our head. Good post, man.

    ReplyDelete